Tuesday, August 22, 2023

I’m just going to start typing …

It’s been a while since I’ve properly made anything. This is due to changes in life circumstances, time and the general health of my computer/myself. 


Honestly it’s been so long that my desire to make anything is strained. Probably mental health stuff too but theres lots of things that have come up that certainly bug me. 


The lack of anywhere proper to post, to actually have engagement with people who would perhaps want to see my work and this general trend of AI images that have started to flood the space. It’s why I tried my last one as a blend, honestly it came out okay but it wasn’t fulfilling. The demise of Twitter as we know it and preceded by Tumblr was the writing on the wall really. Discord grows smaller by the month due to me not posting enough and honestly I would’ve loved to open that up to everyone but when I’d been targeted and people shutting down everywhere I post it was necessary to keep it locked. Couple that with all the BS drama that unfolded a few years ago because someone decided they didn’t like me or how I did things I’m surprised I carried on. 


When you do something for free it starts to show when you take time off, you start to ask yourself if you enjoy what you do in your free time and when sometimes the answer from your head is “No” it’s hard to justify the time sink. 


I’ve also seen a disturbing amount of fakes that have bled into the mainstream apps claiming to be real. While this isn’t new it’s become more prevalent with general users accepting this and the post from said artist getting recognition and thousands, if not tens of thousands, of likes. 


It’s kind of demoralising. 


So I guess I’m not sure if I will come back but I won’t say I never will. Unless things change this end it’s just too difficult to have the free time to put in like I did. Gone are the days of 10+ posts a day. I’m lucky if I can do 1 in 10 months now. 


It’s kind of sad to let something fizzle out when I genuinely enjoyed what I did as a hobby. But given the fact I always felt like I had imposter syndrome and thinking everyone else was better at what I did … it’s hard to find that spark that made me keep going. 


And honestly that initial spark was depression. That’s not gone away really but I have other ways now of treating it and trying to live my life. 


As the title suggests … I just started typing to see what came out. This is the result. 

17 comments:

  1. I'm real sorry to hear all this. I've struggled with depression in my life as well, and used creative outlets to help deal with it. Though, honestly, it wasn't until I got on a proper medication that I really got things under control and my life back on track. Since then, I've continued to enjoy my creative outlets even more. I really hope you feel better. I'll miss your work for sure, you're one of the very, very best. The AI generated stuff is just trash. There's a flood of it and it's all the same crud. Nothing beats a super talented artist like yourself delivering on a clear vision. AI is so goddamn generic. Anyway. Take care of yourself and I hope one day you'll feel motivated to make some more delightful celebrity concoctions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the kind words. Means a lot.

      Delete
  2. I found you late in the game, but yours have always stood out, especially when it came to in character stuff. Your quality is still unmatched for the most part, you're definitely in the top 1% of fakers out there that I've seen throughout in my life time.

    Right now AI fakes are still not there, but they are getting closer.

    I do not understand why someone would be so petty to you either. I'm sorry you went through that shit.

    It sounds like you might be experiencing some burnout, but hopefully you'll find something in the future that will help spark your interests again, because I do miss seeing your quality fakes. I'm a huge fan of the in character stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking the time to replay. I appreciate it. And it’s Dan, just can’t be bothered to log in, haha.

      Delete
  3. It's alright, man. Always put your own well-being first, no matter what. If you don't feel like making fakes, don't force it.

    If the urge ever returns, I highly suggest picking a site or app where you can grow a gallery without the threat of removal, where your followers can grow. Telegram would probably be your best best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You’ve created some of the best fakes. You’re work has been astounding. I understand it’s difficult, but you should be so proud of sharing your creativity even if this is the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why dont you join NewFakeCity? http://new.freefakers.com/forums/ - they would love your fakes there. Granted you will only get a few hundred views, not the thousands you used to get on twitter but they love fakes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry that you feel this way, I've been following your artwork since three to four years, maybe even more than that, so I was there when TUMBLR and Twitter took you down multiple times.

    You definitely need help, can't put in other words. Medication and therapy are the way, but first you gotta admit that you have a problem and that you are ready to take help. Changing the surroundings, people and whatever won't help on the long run.

    Get help, Dan. The sooner, the better. Health first, then comes the work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. fuck it all. Fuck everything everyone else says, even if every person in the world says it's not true, you're a great artist and you know it. So leave the fakes behind if you have to and move on, against the tide of the past and show the world what else you have to offer. We are curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Dan, thanks for giving the update and while it's sad to see what's happened, I (and most others that follow you) support you in whatever you decide to do. I will second the other comment that said to consider NewFakeCity, since that seems to be the best place left for "regular" fakers. It's a great community and shielded from the garbage AI stuff that is taking over lately. That being said I totally understand if you don't have the desire left for it anymore. Either way, best of luck with all your future endeavors, and hopefully we'll see more of you in the future, whether as a creator or just casually following the space.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dan, thank you for all the amazing work you have done. What ever your decision is, I wish all the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What about a telegram?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Miss you my dude. - Dade Lee Murphy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for all your amazing work, whatever the future holds. I was in one of your old discord servers. Always vibed strongly with your Johansson work, and you single-handedly turned me on to Daisy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Brother, please read. I had the blessing to talk to you a little bit on discord. You are a chill and lovely man. Get help if you can. We, your fans, love you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. keep your head up brother. it gets better, stay strong

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey, It's Dade. Merry christmas and Happy New Year my dude.
    Hope you're ok.
    Miss you on Deviantart.

    ReplyDelete